Friday, September 6, 2013

Playing the "I Am..." Game with my Nieces


I can’t sleep, so I’m writing. This blog should simply be called “Mo's Rare & Random Musings,” because as much as I’d like to write – time, oh Father Time!

Anywho, with the recent deluge of collective disgust regarding little girls being asked not to wear locs or afro puffs in school, I thought about the importance of repetition and reassurance.

I am a super proud Auntie / TaTi (for all my Haitian sisters out there), and whenever I get a chance to bathe my nieces (ages 4 & 1), we practice positive reinforcement through repetition. I basically took a page out of the “Help” and we play the “I Am…” game, which goes a little something like this:


Tati: “I am…”
Niece: “I am SMART”
Niece: “I am BOLD” (What means bold again?)
Tati: “Fearless, you’re not afraid to do anything”
Niece: “Oh, I am BOLD”    
Niece: “I am BEAUTIFUL”
Niece: “I am GIFTED”
Niece: “I am CREATIVE”
Niece: “I am INNOVATIVE”
Niece: “Ok last one…”
Tati: “I am in love with?”
Niece: “I Love Me. I love GOD!”



We are not perfect, but if we know at an early age who we are and define who we are, someone else telling us differently – may not be believable.

Raise up confident and bold children.

 
xoxo
-Mo

No comments:

Post a Comment